Friday, December 18, 2015

Basic Plan for "Music and Art"

"Music and Art" is my lesson plan framework.   It uses drawing to help students connect with music appreciation, giving them an auditory, kinetic and visual way of experiencing the lesson.  All of my listening lessons are planned the same way.  The lesson lasts about 30 minutes.  I have been teaching kindergarteners, but I think the lesson can be used for K-6, though the students will interact in different ways depending on their developmental level.



Class Set-up: Sitting at tables.

Materials needed: crayons or markers, a labeled coloring page for each student.

Objectives: Students will be able to name composers, pieces of music and instruments from around the world and different time periods.  Students will state personal opinions and preferences about this music.




After handing out the coloring pages, I play 1 piece without introducing it.  I instruct the students to draw whatever it makes them think of, and that there is no wrong picture to draw.  I want them to develop their own relationship with the music.

Next, I show them where the music comes from geographically on a world map, and share basic information about the composer and performers while showing images related to the piece.

(If there's time, I play the piece again and let them continue drawing.  If not, I go to the next piece.)

Then I have them turn over their labeled coloring page and do the same thing with the second piece.  If there's time at the end I have the kids vote on their favorite and play it one last time.   

At the end of the class the students have original artwork that they can associate with music they have learned about, and can share this experience with their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment