Monday, February 1, 2016

Lesson 5: Film Scores

One of my students asked hopefully if  we could please listen to Star Wars.  I was about to equivocate and say I would consider it, but then immediately exclaimed that it would be a a fabulous idea.  Of course the children should learn about John Williams!

John Williams
I chose to teach about the history of film scores by starting with one of the very first and ending with the ubiquitous theme from "Star Wars".  In researching for this lesson I learned that the third original film score that was ever written was by the French Romantic composer Camille Saint-Saens.  How wonderful to have an opportunity to share his music!
seated portrait of middle-aged man, bearded, in formal 19th-century costume


Another bit of trivia I learned was that one of the purposes of having music played during early films was to drown out the distractingly loud noise of the projector.  I showed the children the small ensemble that played Camille Saint-Saens' score, and how it would fit into the front of a theater. They could see that the full orchestra needed to play John Williams' score would never fit.

We listened to:
L’Assassinat Du Duc de Guise, Op. 128:Cinquieme Tableau-Camille Saint-Saens
Main Title/ Rebel Blockade Runner from Star Wars- John Williams

Here is the Lesson Plan.
Here is the Coloring Page.  Print one for each student (double-sided).
Here are the Visual Aides.  If you have the capacity to project these, that would be great.  I have mine in a binder and walk around the tables giving everyone a closer look.

I also pointed out the geographical origins of the pieces on a map in the classroom.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment