Friday, May 27, 2016

Lesson 11: Music for a Just World

Music is a powerful force, and I wanted to show the children two examples of its power in the 20th century.  Of course music helps us feel joy, celebrate, relax, express love, but it can also reach across political lines and hatred, can shout across the world, can remind us of human truths.


Miriam Makeba is a world-famous South African singer and civil rights activist.  She campaigned against the South African system of apartheid and was exiled from her home country from 1960-1990.  She used her music to share traditional Xhosa and Zulu music and tell the story of apartheid all over the world, and earned the nickname "Mama Afrika."  "Pata Pata" was the hit song that helped introduce her to the world.  It is in the Xhosa language, one of the official languages of South Africa. 

In the USA, Woody Guthrie left us with a catalog of traditional, political and children's songs.  His song "This Land is Your Land" is possibly his most famous.  He used his music speak out against injustice, and in fact, the last 2 verses of the song (which aren't often performed) speak to this theme.


As I went walking, I saw a sign there,
And on the sign there, It said "no trespassing"
But on the other side, it didn't say nothing!
That side was made for you and me.

In the squares of the city, in the shadow of a steeple,
By the relief office I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?

If you search for "Woody Guthrie quotes" or "Miriam Makeba quotes", you can read many of the wonderful writings of these musical activists.  I tried to be somewhat general in my class lessons, because I was walking the line that is Public School Kindergarten.  I talked about how there was a lot of unfairness at the time that these singers lived, that people were not sharing and that they were telling their stories so that people would listen and change for the better.

The lesson plan is here.
The visual aides are here.
The drawing pages are here

This is the last listening lesson for the year, and I know that I have learned so much by putting it together.  I hope that my children, and anyone out there in the world, can use this blog as a jumping-off point to learn about many kinds of music and cultures and how music can help us learn to speak to each other, and, of course, to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment